Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope that you will find some worthwhile information during your stay. Please feel free to contribute a word or two while you're on the Corner.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Social Networking 2

After further investigation, I still feel that networking sites like FaceBook and My Space are for socializing only and I don't see any educational application other than possibly for educators. Even educators have to be mindful when using sites like this if it's to be used for social reasons. This linked article on eschoolNews website discusses one of my concerns. I did find another site that appears educationally based, saywire.com. After reading their information, their site seems to provide what educators and students could use in a safe and meaningful environment. Being the skeptic that I am, I would want to ask more questions before jumping on board. I just think about an activity in my tech class where we evaluated 3 "kid friendly" websites. As we all determined, they weren't everything they were suppose to be.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree with you. I'm skeptical. Even Whyville which is meant for middle school kids, I felt was not something I would want to allow my students to participate in during class. The about pages describe it very highly and until I went on and explored for myself I would have beleived it. I guess trial and error is what we have to do in the meantime.

C.M.Coleman said...

You're right, about trial and error. It seems that most of these sites do require T&E to really determine if this is a place you want to take students or even your own children to.