Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I hope that you will find some worthwhile information during your stay. Please feel free to contribute a word or two while you're on the Corner.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Social Networking

The phenomena of social networking is new only in it's application using technology. Human beings have always wanted to stay in contact with each other. It just so happens that it use to be done with a telephone and only one person at a time or just by physically being with each other . Now with My Space, Facebook, and other similar programs, you can stay in touch through the internet with groups of people at a time. You can tell those in your group what you're doing, what you look like, or what your interest are. Your friends can pass that information to their friends, and a whole world of contacts has been opened (whether you like it or not). In an age where attention spans also appear to be short, you don't even have to sit around waiting for a response. You can leave your computer, do something else, and then come back to the same conversation. If you need an immediate response, then there's always text messaging or IMing. The question is whether social networking has a place in the educational setting. Blackboard is a type of social networking site. We have all seen its advantages; to review and discuss articles, to participate in online disucssions about various concepts, etc. What about its use for younger students. Is Facebook an appropriate method for educational collaboration? Intially I saw Blackboard as an educational tool but not Facebook. To me, Facebook is more on the social part of networking. Frankly, even after exploring, I still feel sites like My Space or Facebook are more for socializing and connecting with people with like interest. I understand a teacher could have a Facebook where she may discuss what her class is doing in science, but I don't see the advantages for younger students. I think that blogs would be more helpful for primary grades educationally. Educators may collaborate with each other within their My Space or Facebook page. I will be thinking more about this. Want to know about Social Networking?
Check out this perspective on YouTube

1 comment:

Tom's Blog said...

Cynthia,

Social networking can be scary sometimes. Check out my post about the young lady who killed herself due in part to myspace. I don't think myspace or facebook has any real educational connections unless high school or college students are using it, then it could be used in an educational purpose. However, I teach fourth graders and they are too young, legally and emotionally to be involved in such networking sites.